fast access to our latest newsletter just click on it here and download as pdf.


or you can always catch up with previous issues in the 'news letters' under the 'Information' menu

Don't Forget

check out the leaflets in the 'useful leaflets' section under the 'Information' menu


Information on this and linked website does not necessarily infer endorsement by the Fibromyalgia Support for Worthing and West Sussex.
Any advice or recommendation of a medical or legal nature must always be discussed with a qualified professional.

Registered Charity 1042582

affiliated with FMA UK

webmaster Pete MacKean

January 2014


Marothan Runner


Dave Chidley did his run in the London Marathon in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Here are the Dave’s words:

“During my training for the London Marathon - the endless Sunday long runs were taking their toll. With 3 weeks to go on a 20 mile run, i started to have difficulty with my right knee (an awful sharp pain and crunching coming from it!) So on the following week night training runs (various lengths/speed/effort to help build stamina for the big day) i was conscious of the knee pain - so found a way to run which did not inflict the knee pain. The following week (2 weeks before the marathon) i had my final Sunday long run - which was a comparatively easy 14miles... about half way round although no pain in my knee - i started to get an awful pain at the top of the left leg. I managed to run the distance - however over night and for the next 2 days i found it hard to walk on the left leg.

I went to see a local chiropractor who worked on the leg - and advised me not to run on it for the time being. So for the next two weeks - i stayed clear of running - having regular treatments by chiropractor - using other forms of exercise to keep my fitness going - and eating lots of carbs (which you are supposed to do before the marathon!)

On the morning of the marathon - i had not ran for 2 weeks - and was not too sure how the leg would hold up.. however i had not had much/any pain in that leg for the last couple of weeks - so was hoping the rest had done it some good. I lined up at the start line - and as always with the marathon it takes quite some time to pass the start line.. after 9 minutes of slow walking i hit the start line and proceeded to break into a jog - and immediately the pain came shooting back... not the best start - with 26.2 miles to go.

I thought of the amount of kind sponsors and not wanting to let them and the charity down i gritted my teeth - put my head down and got on with it as best i could. It was obvious from the first step that i was not going to beat my personal best time and target of under 4 hours. Not only was i in pain - i was running in a pack of several hundred people in the middle of the field... As the miles and hours passed - i managed to live with the pain - until the 24th mile - and believe it or not - the troublesome knee then went! So both legs were out of action.. Somehow though i managed to get through and pass the finish line in 4hrs 36. Not my fastest - but by far the biggest achievement of my life... i am not sure how i got round.

Obviously the next 2 days were uncomfortable for me - and upon visiting my chiropractor she took xrays and advised me to go straight to A and E as she thought that there was a fracture at the top of my leg! No wonder it hurt! After spending a night in hospital i was seen by a couple of Dr's and a specialist. Fortunately the bone specialist said it was not fractured and i was released with pain killers and a pair of crutches!”

Ten days on - i'am still on the pain killers and crutches and my chiropractor is still not convinced it is not fractured.. so it may be a trip for an MRI scan next! I think a very big thank you to Dave is in order, don’t you?